Sunday, May 1, 2011

Time Flies

As we enter May, I'm struck by the fact that it's already been almost a year since I graduated from the apprenticeship. This time last year, I was nervous about what my transition would be like but excited for the graduation ceremony.

A year later, I'm finally starting to feel comfortable in my new role. I look at other mechanics as my peers and don't hesitate as much in choosing a course of action to take on a project. I doubt that I'll ever feel like I know everything about the trade, especially since it seems like it grows and changes every month, but I'm starting to realize that I know what I need to know... and that's a great feeling!!

I can't get over what a remarkable program the apprenticeship is. Almost six years ago I was reading the want-ads, trying to find a job in the industry. Now, I feel comfortable and confident as a professional in the field. For five years I had a team of people working hard to employ me with companies who would teach me exactly what I needed to know to build a career as an electrician.

I'm proud to say that we have a new 1st-year apprentice blogger. His name is Michael Gerrick, and his blog and record of his experiences can be read here:


I look forward to following along on Michael's blog and reading about his experiences from year to year. I especially look forward to five years from now, when we are reading about his up-and-coming graduation! Who knows what kinds of projects and technology IBEW electricians will be dealing with then? Whatever it is, I trust our apprentices to be perfectly equipped to handle to work!

1 comment:

  1. This is a really interesting post! I just finished my electrician courses apprenticeship scheme and I can't wait to get started in the industry. I think it is good to keep a diary of your achievements for other prospective students.

    ReplyDelete