Friday, November 26, 2010

Speed Control

One problem I'm having as a journeyman is speed. I'm having trouble getting tasks done fast enough, or at least at a rate which I feel is expected of me. I realize that I'm being paid 20% more per hour than I was as a fifth-year apprentice, and so I really feel like I need to be 20% more "valuable" to my company, which to me oftentimes means being 20% faster.

I suppose part of the problem I'm having comes from the "learning curve" which you encounter on every new project you take on, but a large majority of it comes from the heightened sense of responsibility that I feel as a mechanic. Since there's no longer anybody coming behind me to make sure I'm doing the job correctly, I tend to over-think each task to make sure that it's being done correctly and efficiently. When I described this feeling to one of my teachers at the hall, he introduced me to a term which perfectly conveys the feeling: "analysis paralysis." I couldn't believe how apt that description is. I was very relieved to learn that this is a common feeling that new mechanics get!

2 comments:

  1. Speed comes with experience. Take your time and do things right the first time, and soon the path of least resistance will follow. The learning curve comes with every job no matter how much experience one has. I'm A Journeyman Lineman and Proud to be a member of IBEW Local 125, Portland, Oregon for more than 30 years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more Kevin. I've felt the pressure to get things done but I always try to remember what one of my first mechanics told me.........

    "yeah, it's gonna take a little longer to do it right, but nowhere near as long as it'll take to do it twice....."

    ReplyDelete