Sunday, February 14, 2010

Back to it!

I just returned to work this past week after being gone for a few weeks. I traveled to Port-au-Prince after news of the earthquake to help out at a school I used to work at in the city. It was an interesting trip and I felt very useful--amid all the chaos, it felt great to be able to provide solid, professional support in the form of electric work. I mention this just to illustrate the utility that I find in being trained in this field. The work we do is helpful to people all over the world, and I was happy to explore new environments with my tools in hand.

Getting back to work on the job I'm currently working on has also been an experience. This week really drove home for me how much of a career being an electrician truly is. I believe it is a life-long experience, not something you learn how to do one time and then you've got it. After missing only three weeks of work at my job, I found myself fumbling to re-center my mind and focus on speedy and satisfactory completion of the tasks I was presented with. Let's just say that there are a couple pieces of pipe that I hope nobody notices sitting alongside of the dumpster!

I'm looking forward to a focused week ahead and getting fully back into the groove. Weather permitting!

1 comment:

  1. Wow Adam, congratulations! I think it's great that you went to Haiti to help with the reconstruction efforts. It's true, our skills really can help those in need, and I think it's admirable that you sacrificed your time to do it. Each year our Local also participates in Habitat for Humanity, and I've wanted to help, but could never seem to get it together. Now you've motivated me to try harder this year. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete